How often does a hurricane hit Belize/Placencia?
This has been a very stressful hurricane season for the Caribbean as we all know by now. It has led to a lot of panic throughout the region, and if you happen to be traveling to the Caribbean right now, you are probably not very happy about your timing. I wanted to take a look at Belize’s hurricane history to find out your chances of being impacted during hurricane season here. Here’s the highlights of my research….
- Since 1930, there have been 16 Hurricanes.
- 8 were Major Hurricanes, that either made landfall in Belize or passed close enough to cause damage or loss of life.
- 17 systems made landfall in Belize as Tropical Storms.
- Average years between direct hurricane hits – 6.59
- Average years between MAJOR hurricane hits – 24.16
- Average years between being brushed or hit with a major storm – 2.84
- Months when storms are most likely – September and October
On to more uplifting topics…..
September Fun Times!
If you are here in September you are in luck! The two weeks leading up to Belize Independence Day on the 21st are one big party! You will find a lot of parades, music, and festivals during this time. Here are three things you can have fun with in Placencia in the coming weeks….
And finally…..here are the latest news articles about Belize, in case you missed them!
- ATM Cave tour was ranked as one of the most terrifying (thrilling?) things to do in the world…..
- The Fort Worth Star Telegram thinks Belize is an amazing tropical getaway with something for everyone….
- Although this one sends a mixed message, apparently environmentalists are impressed/surprised at the health of the reef in Belize, despite the massive growth….
- Forbes thinks that Belize is worth looking at as an international investment….
- Hoffman’s Houston thinks you’ll have a pretty good time here in Belize…
- And so does The Spokesman Review….